Friday, September 14, 2012

Did it spoil me in some way?



Today I had a pretty good discussion with some of my colleagues at office.The discussion was purely based on the Indian Education system.It seemed to me that its not just me who was and is the victim of our education system.There seemed to be lots of dissatisfaction among people.I did not understand what I missed in the college until I started working.This is the case with everyone who were and are living with the system and not trying to change it.We were asked to study the same old books from the childhood without even a hint of what modern India needs at present and in future.The hell thing is we are still continuing to study under the same system till engineering.Education system in engineering does'nt provide the skill set to take up the job immediately.We might get trained to write the java code.But is that enough?Let me put this aside and talk about the plus 1 and plus 2 first.Why do we have these two years?Is it just to learn how to get into to a good engineering college?You work hard for two complete years with a sole goal of getting into a good engineering college.What do we learn from these two years? How to crack a particular exam? Is that any where considered as a part of a skill set.The exam goes off and do we ever use what we have learnt on how to crack a particular exam anywhere after getting out of the engineering college?Nowhere except to tell our juniors on how to crack it.The question paper pattern might change and even those suggestions might not be useful some day.
Let us say I got into one of the best engineering colleges.But I don't even have a goal on what I should do with my life.So I take whichever branch is offered to me.I don't even know why I attend some of the classes like Biology in engineering first year?What am I supposed to do with it.Teach me some engineering instead!!
Once I get on to some course in engineering and if I start hating it because of some reason,what am I gonna do?Can I make myself like it?May be not.So what am I gonna do.Pass the engineering with an average grade,get into some company and do the work which I hate the whole life regretting the fact?I would even lack the skillset to do the job.Will I be able to cope up with the competition in the job and get succeeded?Pretty difficult.This is the case with atleast the people whom I spoke to.
Why not we make it simpler without complicating our life to hell?
Do what we like,eat what we want,live a simpler but happier life.
We can actually do it.But we might need to change our education system to be a bit more flexible.
First and foremost thing is ,study to learn and develop some skill set and not to get marks.I still remember one of my lecturers telling me "Marks are not the criteria for knowledge".
Develop interest in some things right from the childhood and try practicing them to develop skill set.
Plus 1 and Plus 2 are not the years where you study for getting marks and getting into college.They are the years where you would figure out what you want to do with your life.
Selecting a course in engineering should be more of a choice to the student.He should be given a 1 year crash course on each course in engineering.This would help him get interested in some subjects.He should take only that course.The course should be in such a way that by the end of engineering he will be well equipped with all the skills which he needs to get into a company.
In some way Medical colleges seem pretty better in this area.They will be well equipped with the skills needed to be a doctor once they are out of the college and start treating patients.
That should be the end goal.Then we would love what we are doing and we would even know what we would be doing in life.Education syllabus and curriculum is not given much attention in engineering.This should be of highest priority as it would lay a line to the student's future.
 

2 comments:

  1. Did you try to see what you can do from yourside to change things, instead of complaining about it ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mentioned what changes are required (from third para) to the educational system with which some of my complaints might get addressed :)

    ReplyDelete